Fiancé and Marital Visas

What is the difference between a Fiancé and Marital Visa?

Fiancé Visa
If a United States citizen falls in love with a foreign national and proposes marriage, the foreign national is eligible to enter the U.S. for the wedding. The basic requirements of a fiancé visa include:

  • The couple intend to marry within 90 days of the foreign national’s entry to the U.S.
  • Both persons are free to marry
  • They have personally met in previous two years

Marital Visa
A U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) can file for a foreign national spouse to obtain a marital visa to live and work in the U.S. The spouse first becomes a lawful permanent resident and is eventually eligible for U.S. citizenship. There are many legal paths to a marital visa, and which process is available depends on factors such as the foreign national spouse’s current residence and immigration history.

Which visa right for us?
The right visa depends on your situation. A couple must balance many factors:

  • The period of separation before the visa is approved
  • The cost of each process
  • The ability to work without interruption
  • The need to travel internationally without restriction
  • Whether there are minor children from a previous relationship who also require a visas
  • The wedding plans

At Straub Immigration, we strive to balance your unique circumstances with the realities of the complicated U.S. immigration system. Schedule a consultation, and we will design an immigration plan that is best for you.

  • Have Questions?

    Let's Get Started

  • We would be happy to discuss your legal matters in greater detail with a case consultation.

  • Request a Consultation